ScottishPower is broadening its commitment to cycling in Scotland by sponsoring the Fort William Mountain Bike World Cup, which takes place at the Nevis Range on 8-9 June.
Already the largest ever sponsor of youth cycling in Scotland, ScottishPower is extending its support to include the elite end of the sport by becoming an official partner of the biggest celebration of mountain biking in the UK this summer.
Keith Anderson, ScottishPower Chief Corporate Officer, said: “Today’s announcement further demonstrates ScottishPower’s commitment to cycling in Scotland at all levels and across all the cycling disciplines.
“The Fort William Mountain Bike World Cup has a reputation for being a great family-friendly event hosted in the best of spirits at one of Scotland’s most exciting mountain bike venues. We hope our support will enable the organisers to deliver yet another outstanding weekend of world class competition.”
Mike Jardine, Director of Fort William Mountain Bike World Cup organisers Rare Management, said: “It’s fantastic to welcome ScottishPower to our family of sponsors. Fort William attracts around 300 of the best riders in the world, thousands of fans from across the UK and is viewed by millions around the world on TV and online. It’s a powerful event so it’s great to have one of Scotland’s most recognised brands associated with such an iconic showcase of Scottish sport.”
The Fort William Mountain Bike World Cup is the first downhill stage of the 2013 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup series which goes onto visit Italy, Andorra, Canada, Norway and Austria.
Voted the best World Cup event a record eight times in its 11-year history, Fort William will not only witness the world’s best downhill daredevils battle it out in front of 20,000 fans along one of the most physically demanding courses around, but it will also showcase the next generation of riders in the final of the ScottishPower Mini Downhill series.
The ScottishPower Mini Downhill final is the culmination of the downhill mountain bike discipline of the ScottishPower Youth Series which was established as a result of the energy company’s partnership with Scottish Cycling, the national governing body for cycling in Scotland.
For further information please contact Stuart Martin at Stripe Communications on 0131 561 8620 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano
- The Fort William Mountain Bike World Cup, now entering its 12th year, is a key fixture in Scotland’s sporting calendar and has been voted the best mountain bike event in the world by the International Mountain Bike Trade Team Organisation (IMTTO) four times
- The event has been voted ‘UCI Best World Cup’ by teams, officials, riders and media a record breaking eight times in its 11-year history
- The Nevis Range was voted as one of the Top 20 trips of 2011 by National Geographic Traveller editors
- Fort William is the first of six World Cup stages taking place in six different countries across Europe and North America, from May to September. The World Championships will take place in South Africa in September.
- The two days of competition are a huge celebration of mountain biking and the World Cup Village creates a family friendly festival atmosphere with loads of activities and entertainment to keep everyone captivated the whole weekend
- All competitions take place on or around the Nevis Range ski area and the Leanachan Forest, 9km from Fort William
- The UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano is supported by EventScotland, VisitScotland, Highland Council, Scottish Cycling, British Cycling, Nevis Range and Forestry Commission Scotland. The event is sponsored by Dare2b, Monster Energy, ScottishPower, Buff Headwear and Alpine Bikes