ScottishPower is excited to announce the launch of their 2020/2021 Returner Programme
The Programme provides ALL candidates who have taken a career break of two years or more with opportunities to re-enter the STEM industry, this year we are broadening the criteria to include candidates who have had a role in STEM which has been directly impacted by Covid19.
The programme helps applicants refresh their existing skills and knowledge while building their confidence in a working environment through a structured pathway.
ScottishPower’s Social Projects and Sector Education Manager, Mairi Elder comments: "There is a skills shortage in the UK, particularly in STEM roles. ScottishPower have a number of critical projects and are investing in our infrastructure, this investment will drive the UK’s green recovery and deliver quick returns for the economy, people and communities . This Programme allows us to bring STEM talent back into the workplace and help bridge that gap while offering a great opportunity to gain valuable experience.
The programme provides:
- A paid placement for 9-12 months, starting salary of £28,400 plus benefits
- An opportunity to work on some of ScottishPower’s innovative projects
- Sociable/Virtual meetings with previous Returners on the Programme
- A supportive induction and regular meetings with a line manager
- Flexible working patterns
- Opportunities to develop and update skills
- Confidence building workshops delivered by external partners
- A business mentor to support you throughout the Programme
- Guidance from a Returners Programme Manager to help with CV writing and applications
To apply you will have to meet the following criteria;
- had a career break of at least 2 years OR have had a STEM role that has been impacted by Covid-19.
- be qualified in and/or have relevant work experience in one of the following areas; engineering, renewable energy, data analysis, project management, finance, technology, environmental or sustainability.
How to apply for the ScottishPower Returner Programme
Applications for this role are now closed.
After taking a nearly six year career break, the thought of going back to work seemed beyond daunting.
However, from the moment I spoke to Marise Nelson in HR, through to my interview and placement in Barry Caruthers’s Corporate Innovation, Sustainability and Quality team, I was made to feel at ease and valued.
Straight away I was welcomed into the team and encouraged to get involved in multiple workstreams. In the course of my 8-month placement, I worked with many dedicated ScottishPower professionals to calculate our corporate carbon footprint.
Starting a new position amongst the lockdown again seemed daunting, but once again I have a fantastic ScottishPower team that has been supportive . Thank you to everyone at ScottishPower that has made such a huge impact with this programme!
The programme offered me the perfect opportunity to restart my career after an extended break to raise my daughter. It helped me smoothly transition into the corporate working environment and regain my confidence.
The career and mentoring workshops were very insightful and helped hone my employability and networking skills. It was wonderful to have the constant support and advice from one of the last year’s returner (as a part of the buddy system) and from my fellow returners.
As a returner, I was placed with the New Business team where my role was very structured and objectives/ deliverables set at the outset. My entire team has been extremely supportive during my returner stint. I am thankful to everyone in my team especially my manager/ mentor who very methodically introduced me to different teams, processes and guided me through the entire period. I am fortunate that I was offered a permanent role in the same team.
Last but not the least, special thanks to Marise Nelson for always being there for guidance, support and encouragement. I would highly recommend Scottish Power’s returner programme to anyone considering returning to work after a career break. I wish the very best and success to the next Returner Programme.