ScottishPower is excited to announce the launch of the 2023/2024 Returner Programme
The programme provides ALL candidates who have taken a career break of 12 months or more with opportunities to re-enter the STEM industry. It enables applicants the opportunity to refresh their existing skills and knowledge while building their confidence in a working environment through a structured pathway.
Mairi Elder, Social Projects and Sector Education Manager at ScottishPower, says: "There is a skills shortage in the UK, particularly in STEM roles. As we navigate through the energy transition this Programme allows us to bring STEM talent back into the workplace helping bridge that gap.
“The Programme offers a great opportunity to gain valuable experience across a broad range of critical projects, delivering a better future, quicker, for everyone."
Claire Divers – Project Office Coordinator, SPEN Partnerships and Net Zero Fund
After the Pandemic, and becoming a mother, I applied to the Returners Programme late 2022 in the hope of finding a career that was more aligned to my current lifestyle.
My CV demonstrated a wide and varied skillset having come from an advertising account manager background, something the Returners team welcomed and knew where to place me.
Following an interview with the SP Energy Networks Stakeholder Engagement and Comms team I was offered a role in their Partnerships and Net Zero Fund team in Feb 2023. From the get-go my manager, colleague and wider team welcomed me, supported me, and made my return to the workplace exceed all expectations.
I was further supported by Returners events, where I could talk with my fellow cohort, sharing experiences and advice as well as having 1-2-1’s with a dedicated mentor and Returners contact.
After 7 quick months of working in the team I was offered a full-time contract, which I gladly accepted. I know I am very fortunate to say I enjoy coming to work every day, as each day is different. From interacting with a variety of stakeholders, to helping communities we serve, or developing STEM and Safety programmes for the next generation, I consider myself very fortunate to be part of an amazing organisation which gave me the opportunity to return to employment and supported me every step of the way.
Monika Singh, People Services Team, People and Organisation
After taking a hiatus to raise my family, I joined ScottishPower as a Recruitment Advisor through their Returner Programme.
This programme has had a significant influence on my personal and professional growth. It has not only boosted my confidence but also brought my skillset up to industry standards, addressing the gap caused by my extended career break.
The support, guidance, and mentorship provided by my team were priceless and played a crucial role in shaping my development. After participating in the programme for 7 months, I was grateful to be offered a permanent position within the organization which I gladly accepted.
The programme provides:
- A paid placement for 9-12 months with a starting salary of £30,555, plus pension and access to a qualifying selection of the flexible benefit options (details available on request)
- An opportunity to work on some of ScottishPower’s innovative projects
- Sociable/Virtual meetings with previous Returners on the Programme
- A supportive induction and regular meetings with a line manager
- Flexible working patterns
- Opportunities to develop and update skills
- Confidence building workshops delivered by external partners
- A business mentor to support you throughout the Programme
- Guidance from a Returners Programme Manager to help with CV writing and applications
To apply you will have to meet the following criteria:
- Have had a career break of at least 12 months
- Be qualified in and/or have relevant work experience in one of the following areas: Digital, Cyber Security, Engineering, Renewable Energy, Marketing, Environmental, Sustainability, Hydrogen, Data Science, Project Management or IT.
Applications for this year’s Returner Programme are now open.
To apply please visit our application page.