ScottishPower is excited to announce the launch of their 2022/2023 Returner Programme
The Programme provides ALL candidates who have taken a career break of 12 months or more with opportunities to re-enter the STEM industry, the programme helps applicants refresh their existing skills and knowledge while building their confidence in a working environment through a structured pathway.
ScottishPower’s Social Projects and Sector Education Manager, Mairi Elder comments: "There is a skills shortage in the UK, particularly in STEM roles. As we navigate through the energy transition this Programme allows us to bring STEM talent back into the workplace helping bridge that gap. The Programme offers a great opportunity to gain valuable experience across a broad range of critical projects, driving the UK’s green recovery and delivering a better future, quicker, for everyone.”
Farzana Kauser, Cyber Security Engineer, Onshore O&M
After taking a hiatus for nearly 3 years, I started as a Cyber Security Engineer with Scottish Power Renewables as part of the returners program at end of January 2022.
The whole process has been an amazing journey with Marise Nelson being at the forefront. Marise has been supporting and guiding me throughout the entire process with no question being too small or meaningless.
The team which I was placed have given me great advice and support whenever I asked or was needed which increased my confidence to showcase my skills.
As a result, 5 months later, I was offered a permanent position which I gladly accepted. I am happy to be part of an amazing organisation that puts their ethics and values into giving people, like myself, the opportunity to return back to work.
Ashima Tandon, Implementation lead, Process and Systems COE, SPEN
In November 2021, as part of the Returner programme, I began working with Scottish Power as the Technical Process Lead in Process and Systems, COE, SPEN.
For a professional like me who has a technical background and previously worked in the IT business for a number of years before taking a hiatus, this programme has been an excellent opportunity. I got the chance to work with a terrific team and received tremendous support from management, leadership, and teammates. After 4 months into the programme , I applied for a new role inside the organisation and was given the option of accepting a permanent position, which I gratefully accepted.
The programme provides:
- A paid placement for 9-12 months, starting salary of £29,100 plus benefits
- An opportunity to work on some of ScottishPower’s innovative projects
- Sociable/Virtual meetings with previous Returners on the Programme
- A supportive induction and regular meetings with a line manager
- Flexible working patterns
- Opportunities to develop and update skills
- Confidence building workshops delivered by external partners
- A business mentor to support you throughout the Programme
- Guidance from a Returners Programme Manager to help with CV writing and applications
To apply you will have to meet the following criteria:
- had a career break of at least 12 months
- be qualified in and/or have relevant work experience in one of the following areas; Digital, Cyber Security, Engineering, Renewable Energy, Marketing, Environmental, Sustainability, Hydrogen, Data Science, Project Management or IT.
Applications for this year’s Returner Programme are now closed, the new Programme will open up again in October 2023.