The recruitment process for Trainee and Student Programme includes a combination of:
- Online Application with Dependability Questionnaire
- Online Occupational Ability tests
- Telephone or Video interview
- Assessment Centre
- Competency Based Interview
The occupational ability tests used for the ScottishPower Apprenticeship Scheme fall into two categories:
- Numerical tests: Measures simple reasoning skills with numbers, including understanding, reasoning and identifying shortcuts to reach solutions.
- Mechanical comprehension: Measures the understanding of basic mechanical principles, as applied to devices such as pulleys, gears and levers.
The practical testing will involve you using your hands and tools supplied to physically assemble or dismantle a number of components. This test is to assess your hand to eye skills, mechanical reasoning and practical thought process.
You will also be asked to carry out a climbing / height assessment all the material for which will be provided on the day.
Competency based interview
To help us find people who can help us make a difference, we use competency-based interviewing. It’s simply a means of interviewing based on the premise that your past performance is an excellent indicator of your future performance.
The interview is built around competencies that we believe are key to an individual successfully undertaking the role. A variety of questions have been prepared that are designed to find out if the candidate has performed successfully in previous situations similar to those they will encounter in the position for which they are being interviewed.
The competencies examined during your interview will be taken from the following areas:
- Achieving results and continuous improvement
- Communicating and influencing
- Customer focus
- Innovation and creativity
- Team work