Skip to main content

Select Language:

Powerwise Pupils At Lorne Street Primary School Learn How To Play Safe And Stay Safe Around Electricity With ScottishPower


ScottishPower kicked-off the next phase of its primary school safety education programme in Glasgow today (Friday 4th Feb) when pupils at Lorne Street Primary were paid a visit by one of the energy company’s specialist safety teachers – ably assisted by Sparky the Crow.

Pupils from Primary 1 to Primary 7 took part in lively interactive sessions which taught them how to identify potential electrical safety hazards. This ranged from household dangers, such as using cutlery to retrieve bread from a toaster, to staying safe near substations and overhead power lines outdoors.

Unfortunately across the UK incidents occur every year where people are injured and even killed by coming into contact with electricity. From kites and fishing rods coming into contact with power lines, to accidents in the home, many of these injuries can be avoided with the right precautions.

In the past 10 years, 131 people have been killed and 3,374 injured through accidents or by deliberate interference with electricity supplies in the UK*. ScottishPower’s proactive primary school education programme is focussed on helping children to be more aware of electricity and to be able to identify yellow and black danger signs, so that from an early age they have the understanding needed to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

In the last seven years the company’s qualified teaching staff have spoken to more than 330,000  school children across the ScottishPower operating areas of central and southern Scotland and Merseyside and North Wales.

At the end of the session, teachers at the school were given a comprehensive PowerWise Resource Pack. It contains lesson plans, classroom activities, and all the resources needed for teachers to reinforce the ScottishPower safety messages throughout the year.

Frank Mitchell, Director of ScottishPower Energy Networks, said: “We had a fantastic response from the pupils at Lorne Street Primary School. We are always pleasantly surprised by the knowledge that the children already have about electricity and its potential dangers, and we hope that the activities they took part in today will help to develop their understanding further to help them to stay safe.

“Even though electricity is around us most of the time, it is safe as long as it respected. That is the key message that we want the children to take away with them. We hope that the school will be able to plan future lessons using the resource pack provided.”

Miss Marjory Thompson, Head Teacher at Lorne Street Primary School, said: “The lesson was very professional and very worthwhile - the children have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.”

Doug Wilson, ScottishPower’s Director of Health and Safety, added: “Safety is without compromise in ScottishPower. Public safety and the safety of our customers and staff is built into everything we do and it is critical to be proactive and innovative in our approach.”

Notes to Editors:

*Figures from the Energy Networks Association

Media Information: Paul Ferguson: 0141 566 4515 / 07702 665 924