Television presenter Dawn O’Porter has joined forces with ScottishPower and Cancer Research UK to celebrate raising £5 million in the battle against cancer.
The announcement marks a major milestone for ScottishPower, which launched a three year long partnership with Cancer Research UK in 2012 with the aim of raising £5 million. The vital funds have been generated through a raft of different initiatives and events including Race for Life, Stand Up To Cancer and sales of a bespoke ‘Help Beat Cancer’ energy tariff.
Joining ScottishPower and Cancer Research UK at Trafalgar Square today (Monday 20 October), Dawn has offered her support to highlight the important role that fundraising plays in helping Cancer Research UK battle cancer. The TV presenter, who lost her mother to breast cancer at the age of seven, has publicly spoken about her mother’s cancer experience to raise awareness of the disease.
“It‘s so important that we all continue to do our bit to beat cancer and that’s why I am showing my support today and celebrating the £5 million that ScottishPower has raised for Cancer Research UK,” comments Dawn. “This is a phenomenal amount of money and I am delighted to be part of an event that is helping to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
“My hat goes off to everyone that has contributed towards raising the £5 million. Let’s work together to show the world that collectively we have the energy to beat cancer sooner.”
Neil Clitheroe, CEO ScottishPower Retail & Generation said: “More than one in three people will develop some form of cancer in their lifetime and Cancer Research UK is fighting the battle against all cancers.
“At ScottishPower, our commitment to making a difference in the world stretches beyond energy. Our customers and employees have shown amazing support for Cancer Research UK, and their willingness to get involved in the fight against cancer has been inspiring. To generate £5 million is a fantastic achievement. I would like to personally thank everyone who has donated their time or money for Cancer Research UK. Let’s all work together to continue the fight against cancer.”
Richard Taylor, Cancer Research UK’s Executive Director of Fundraising and Marketing, said: “Every day in the UK there are more than 400 people diagnosed with cancer that will survive the disease for more than 10 years thanks to research. The £5 million received from ScottishPower will allow us to continue our life-changing research.”
ScottishPower employees have put their heart and soul into innovative fundraising initiatives ranging from bake-offs to bikeathons and last year produced their very own version of ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ – We’ve Got Talent where talented ScottishPower employees performed to an audience of over 400 people.
Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to beating cancer through research. Millions of lives have been saved by discovering new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, and survival rates have doubled over the past 40 years.
For further information please contact Kirsty MacLeod or Jenny Stewart at Stripe Communications on 0131 561 8628 email@example.com
- ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe, and the world leader in operating wind energy. Iberdrola’s main operating areas are Spain, the UK, US, Mexico and Brazil.
- In the UK, as well as being a major retail energy supplier, ScottishPower manages the electricity network which supports millions of homes and businesses and is one of the largest producers of renewable electricity.
- The company now manages more than 5.6 million retail customer accounts.
- SP Energy Networks look after more than 100,000 km of power lines and over 30,000 substations, delivering electricity to more than 3.5 million homes and businesses in Scotland, the North West of England and North Wales. ScottishPower Renewables is one of the leading developers of green electricity, with more than 25 operational windfarms and a healthy pipeline of onshore, offshore, wave and tidal reneweable energy projects in development.
About Cancer Research UK:
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive cancer. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that 3 in 4 people will survive cancer within the next 20 years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.