Today, singer Alexandra Burke led thousands of Cancer Research UK Race for Life participants to harness their collective energy and fighting spirit to perform a giant high 5 wave!
Performed at the Race for Life event in Glasgow, the giant High 5 wave supports ScottishPower’s overall Race for Life sponsorship, which looks to encourage participants to ‘donate’ their positive energy and create 55,000 ‘High 5’s’ to help ScottishPower reach a donation of £30,000 for Cancer Research UK.
A ‘High 5’ can be created through posting a fun selfie to the ScottishPower High 5 Wave website, or taking part in on-the-day activities, including the High 5 photo booth at various Race for Life events throughout the UK this summer.
Alexandra Burke said: "I was so thrilled to be supporting Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life and ScottishPower today, the atmosphere and energy at the event was incredible! It was so fantastic to see so many women coming together to take part in the ScottishPower High 5 Wave and harnessing their collective power to raise money to help beat cancer sooner. Don’t forget there are Race for Life events across the UK this summer so gather your girls and sign up today!"
Neil Clitheroe, CEO, Retail and Generation at ScottishPower said: “ScottishPower is delighted to be the Official Energy Sponsor of Cancer Research UK's Race for Life 2014 for the third year running.
“We believe that together we have the energy to help beat cancer sooner. It is wonderful so many inspirational mums, daughters, sisters and friends all come together for one special event, all united by one aim, to get cancer on the run. We’re proud our dedicated army of fundraising staff at ScottishPower have helped raise over £320k for Cancer Research UK which will pay for life saving research that will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. That positive energy is definitely something worth High 5ing about.”
The singer is encouraging women from across the UK, regardless of their age, shape or fitness level, to unite against cancer and walk, run or jog at their local Race for Life event this summer. By raising vital funds to beat the disease, the women who take part will be helping to hit cancer where it really hurts.
ScottishPower has been the Official Energy Sponsor of Race for Life since 2012 and aims to raise £5 million over three years as part of a wider partnership with Cancer Research UK. To date ScottishPower have already raised over £4m for the charity.
For more information about ScottishPower’s High 5 wave please visit www.scottishpower-high5.co.uk
Run, walk or dance at Race for Life: www.raceforlife.org
You can also call the hotline on 0845 600 6050 and follow Race for Life on Twitter http://twitter.com/raceforlife or join the Race for Life Facebook community www.facebook.com/raceforlife
For media enquiries or for interview requests please contact Abigail Talbot on 020 3469 8068 or email email@example.com
About Race for Life
- Race for Life raises money that goes towards beating over 200 types of cancer affecting both men and women
- The entry fee is £14.99 for adults and £10 for girls 16 and under. This covers the costs of staging the event series and means that money raised in sponsorship can go to help beat cancer
- Enter now at www.raceforlife.org or via the hotline on 0845 600 6050
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe, and the world leader in operating wind energy. Iberdrola’s main operating areas are Spain, the UK, US, Mexico and Brazil.
- In the UK, as well as being a major retail energy supplier, ScottishPower manages the electricity network which supports millions of homes and businesses and is one of the largest producers of renewable electricity.
- The company now manages more than 5.6 million retail customer accounts.
- SP Energy Networks look after more than 100,000 km of power lines and over 30,000 substations, delivering electricity to more than 3.5 million homes and businesses in Scotland, the North West of England and North Wales.
- ScottishPower Renewables is one of the leading developers of green electricity, with more than 25 operational windfarms and a healthy pipeline of onshore, offshore, wave and tidal reneweable energy projects in development.