ScottishPower has announced that it will no longer offer auto-rollover contracts to new small business customers from April 2014 and later in 2014 for existing customers, in a move to provide customers with greater choice and control over their energy supply.
The end to auto-rollover contracts is part of a range of customer focussed improvements to ScottishPower’s products and services that have been introduced following feedback from its business customers.
In addition, the Company is today committing to reduce the period for back billing business customers to 12 months. ScottishPower had already reduced the period to 24 months in January 2013 and the new 12 month rule will come into effect in January 2014.
ScottishPower is also leading the industry in its continued commitment to ensure that existing business customers receive contract renewals 60 days prior to contract expiry via recorded delivery, the only supplier in the industry to do this. In addition, the company’s business customers will continue to have the flexibility to negotiate their new contract up to 30 days before their existing one expires.
Neil Clitheroe CEO of Retail and Generation said: “We continue to believe that competition and choice deliver the best value for consumers and we welcome the industry’s commitment to creating a level playing field for all customers. We recently engaged with hundreds of our small business customers to understand what’s important to them and what they would like to see from their energy supplier. This valuable feedback has already helped to shape and inform our products, maintaining our commitment to service excellence and helping to build lasting relationships.
“At ScottishPower we are focused on using a range of communications to inform customers of renewal options and we continue to be the only supplier that sends its contract renewal documents by recorded delivery. This communication provides small business customers with the notice they need to take action, ensuring that important communications receive the attention they deserve.”
“We’ve also made significant investment in our IT and billing systems that will enable us to provide clear, consistent communications to all of our customers and tailor our products and services to suit our exact customer needs.
“In a fiercely competitive market, businesses need to run as efficiently as possible, which means trimming costs wherever possible. The experience within ScottishPower’s Business Energy Team means they can look at a business’ energy usage and quickly identify key areas where savings can be made.”
Notes to editors
- From April 2014, ScottishPower will no longer sell auto rollover contracts to new small Business customers.
- From late 2014, existing ScottishPower customers coming to the end of their contract will not be auto rolled over.
- As of January 2014, ScottishPower is committing to only back-bill business accounts for 12 months in the event of supplier error.
- ScottishPower goes beyond regulatory requirements and sends all its SME contract renewal letters via recorded delivery to ensure safe receipt and provide adequate time for customers to make an informed decision.
- ScottishPower has a dedicated UK based Business Energy Team to help business customers manage their accounts.
- We apply the same complaints process to all Micro Business customers as we do to Domestic Customers to ensure that they receive similar protections.
- More than 5.6 million customers rely on ScottishPower for their gas and electricity - and more than 225,000 of these are business customers.
- ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, a global energy company and world leader in wind energy with operations focused in the UK, US, Brazil, Mexico and Spain.